International leader in human performance accepts leadership role at IHMC
IHMCs Director and CEO Dr. Ken Ford announced that Dr. Morley O. Stone, the former senior vice president for research at the Ohio State University is joining the institute as Chief Strategic Partnership Officer.
Dr. Stone is recognized as an international leader in human performance and biomimetics with nearly 30 years of experience in research and development. At IHMC, he will assume a leadership role in developing external strategic relationships with federal agencies, research universities and the private sector as well as implementing, coordinating and initiating scientific projects and assisting and mentoring IHMC scientists and research staff.
As senior vice president for research, Dr. Stone oversaw an annual budget of over $1billion in basic and applied research while at Ohio State. Prior to OSU, Morley served as the Chief Technology Officer for the Air Force Research Laboratory where he was responsible for assisting with the planning and execution of an annual $2.1 billion Air Force science and technology program and an additional $2.3 billion in externally funded research and development. From 2003 to 2006, Dr. Stone accepted an assignment as Program Manager in the Defense Sciences Office at the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA).
Dr. Stone earned his PhD in biochemistry from Carnegie Mellon University and his research interests are broad spanning areas such as the interface of materials science, biotechnology, human performance, and autonomous systems. In addition to his research leadership, Dr. Stone is a recognized leader in government and higher education in addressing and preventing foreign influence in research and development.
IHMC is a not-for-profit research institute of the Florida University System where researchers pioneer science and technology aimed at leveraging and extending human capabilities.
- Put IHMC’s Science Saturday on your calendar today
- Dr. Kaleen Lavin on STEM-Talk talks about biology, exercise, and aging
- IHMC receives grant to continue SquadBot research program
- STEM-Talk explores the biology of aging
- Dr. Mark Lewis talks hypersonics in STEM-Talk Episode 138
- IHMC Summer Robotics Camp helps fuel a love of science for students
- Greg Potter talks sleep quality, influences in STEM-Talk episode 137
- Dr. Niranjan Suri named IHMC associate director
- Carol Carlan joins IHMC as director of philanthropy