UWF partners with IHMC to develop first intelligent systems and robotics Ph.D. in Florida
The University of West Florida has partnered with the Institute for Human and Machine Cognition located in downtown Pensacola to develop a doctoral program in intelligent systems and robotics. The program will be the first of its kind in Florida and one of only a few in the nation.
“We are very excited about this new doctoral degree program,” said UWF President Martha D. Saunders. “The program brings together the strengths of UWF engineering and computer science programs with the expertise of a world-class research center, IHMC. It’s a game changer.”
The new doctoral program aligns with the University’s strategic vision for research that impacts Northwest Florida’s economic development and technology enterprise. It will serve the manufacturing, health care, defense and other high-tech industries, providing critical support to high-demand career fields.
“I’ve envisioned a program like this for a long time,” said Ken Ford, director and co-founder of IHMC. “It will attract top young talent from the world. This is such a great move not only for UWF and IHMC, but also for Pensacola and the state.”According to a 2012 study by the National Robotics Initiative, robotics technology holds the potential to transform the future of the U.S. and is expected to become as ubiquitous over the next decades as computer technology is today. The United States Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook projects a 19 percent growth rate for computer and information technology research scientists over the next 10 years.
- UWF and IHMC announce inaugural director for Intelligent Systems and Robotics doctoral program
- IHMC and Andrews Research and Education Foundation announce partnership to conduct research projects
- Ryan Tilley Appointed to the FloridaWest Economic Development Alliance Board of Directors
- The most important, innovative company to open in Ocala in the past 20 years.
- IHMC CEO named to National Security Commission on Artificial Intelligence
- IHMC a finalist in Toyota Mobility Challenge
- UWF partners with IHMC to develop first intelligent systems and robotics Ph.D. in Florida
- Drone program with City of Pensacola Police Department
- Levin Center for IHMC Research wins AIA Florida’s People’s Choice Award