UWF partners with IHMC to develop first intelligent systems and robotics Ph.D. in Florida
The University of West Florida has partnered with the Institute for Human and Machine Cognition located in downtown Pensacola to develop a doctoral program in intelligent systems and robotics. The program will be the first of its kind in Florida and one of only a few in the nation.
“We are very excited about this new doctoral degree program,” said UWF President Martha D. Saunders. “The program brings together the strengths of UWF engineering and computer science programs with the expertise of a world-class research center, IHMC. It’s a game changer.”
The new doctoral program aligns with the University’s strategic vision for research that impacts Northwest Florida’s economic development and technology enterprise. It will serve the manufacturing, health care, defense and other high-tech industries, providing critical support to high-demand career fields.
“I’ve envisioned a program like this for a long time,” said Ken Ford, director and co-founder of IHMC. “It will attract top young talent from the world. This is such a great move not only for UWF and IHMC, but also for Pensacola and the state.”According to a 2012 study by the National Robotics Initiative, robotics technology holds the potential to transform the future of the U.S. and is expected to become as ubiquitous over the next decades as computer technology is today. The United States Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook projects a 19 percent growth rate for computer and information technology research scientists over the next 10 years.
- International leader in human performance accepts leadership role at IHMC
- IHMC’s Bonnie Dorr recognized for her distinguished career
- IHMC’s James Allen honored as one of nation’s top scientists
- Distinguished Exercise Scientist Joins IHMC
- DARPA taps IHMC’s Bonnie Dorr for group to assess agency’s research
- IHMC podcast in the running for international award
- STEM-Talk wins People’s Choice award for second time in three years
- UWF and IHMC announce inaugural cohort for state’s first Ph.D. in Intelligent Systems and Robotics
- UWF and IHMC announce inaugural director for Intelligent Systems and Robotics doctoral program