VR/Video Game Artist Internship
IHMC is seeking a talented Game Artist for a summer internship at IHMC, to develop a collaborative VR prototyping tool, supporting multiple projects across the IHMC.
We are building a VR Workbench, based on IHMC’s existing work in Shared Space VR Collaboration, as a Digital Engineering tool for team collaboration and product prototyping.
This candidate will work full time with the VR team on various projects beginning with supporting VR prototyping in Unity for the Sandia Exoskeleton project. You will help the Engineering team visualize design improvements and prototype interfaces in Unity.
Roles and responsibilities are varied, and include: Optimizing meshes from OnShape and SolidWorks into game ready Unity Assets, creating PBR texture maps, animation rigging and taking a proactive role in helping build a creative, productive VR center of excellence at the IHMC.
As IHMC is first and foremost a research institute, this candidate will have opportunities to gain experiences and try new things, both with a varied set of responsibilities and through functions like the IHMC lecture series and regular learning lunches.
The ideal candidate will report to the VR Workbench Principle Investigator and must be passionate about Games and VR and dedicated to creating clean, performant game ready assets. and be presently enrolled in an interactive Art or 3D design Degree/ Program. Candidates should have experience creating 3D assets for Unity and demonstrable talent in 3D Modeling, familiarity creating physically based rendered materials, and some knowledge of rigging, animation and game art asset optimization.
Preference will be given to candidates with strong portfolios and expertise in 3D modeling and surfacing tools (i.e. Blender, Maya, Substance Painter, etc).
Responsibilities will include:
- Creation of Game Ready OBJs from engineering STLs.
- UV Unwrapping, creating normal maps and texture sets for LODs.
- Identification of art pipeline optimization and automation opportunities.
- Create shaders and materials.
- Create Light Maps and Bake Textures.
- Optimizing performance on all projects.
- Pioneers new asset creation techniques for environment assets.
- Proposes pipeline and technology improvements to Art and Core Pipeline.
- Collaborate with and support the engineering team.
- Keeps up with current technologies used in and by various game engines.
- Other duties may be assigned.
- US Citizen or Green Card.
- Work on site during internship in Pensacola, FL ( https://www.visitpensacola.com/ ).
- Strong knowledge in Unity.
- Technical proficiency in 3D workflow areas like modeling, texturing, lighting & rendering.
- Experience with 3D tools like Blender/Maya/3DS Max, and real time art pipelines.
- Experience with Rigging, and Animation.
- Experience in Substance Designer/Painter, Photoshop and 3D modeling tools.
- Experience in Game Jams or other collaborative game projects.
- Experience with Git and source control.
- Experience converting 3D-printing file formats into game ready assets.
- Experience with Oculus Rift/Quest and other VR Platforms.
- Able to think creatively and resolve technical challenges and limitations.
- Excellent communication skills at all levels, both on a technical and creative basis.
- Artistically as well as technically inclined.
- Strong time management & organization skills.
- Strong teamwork ethic.
Send an email to email@example.com with the subject line “VR/Video Game Artist Internship– YourLastName YourFirstName” and include the following:
- Current resume in pdf format. Name your file: “YourLastName_Resume.pdf”.
- Cover letter in pdf format. Name your file: “YourLastName_CoverLetter.pdf”.
- A Link to you Video Portfolio, Demo Reel or portfolio site.
- Dates that you are available for an internship.
In the cover letter:
- Explain why you meet the qualifications.
- Provide email and phone number for three (3) professional references.
Location: Institute for Human and Machine Cognition (IHMC), Pensacola, FL.
Candidate will be required to work on site if selected.
IHMC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.