VR Technical Artist
IHMC is seeking a talented VR Technical Artist to develop a collaborative VR prototyping tool, supporting multiple projects across the IHMC.
We are building a VR Workbench, based on IHMC’s existing work in Shared Space VR Collaboration, as a Digital Engineering tool for team collaboration and product prototyping. This is based on our extensive work using VR for Robotics development, and will support specific upcoming projects in team collaboration and VR prototyping. Additionally the VR Workbench will be featured in an upcoming Mars mission astronaut health study, awarded by NASA to use Shared Space VR Technology to improve performance, behavioral health, sensorimotor function and team efficacy for extended duration missions.
This candidate will work full time with the VR team on various projects and platforms. Roles and responsibilities are varied, and include: creating extensible character controllers, animation systems, game assets, art pipelines and take a proactive role in helping build a creative, productive VR center of excellence at the IHMC.
As IHMC is first and foremost a research institute, this candidate will have opportunities to gain experiences and try new things, both with a varied set of responsibilities and through functions like the IHMC lecture series and regular learning lunches.
The ideal candidate will report to the VR Workbench Principle Investigator and must be passionate about VR, dedicated to creating clean, performant Game ready assets and have an BS/MS in Computer Art, Interactive Design or related field with 3 years or more experience working in VR or Unity Game Development. Candidates should have experience with standard game industry art practices, expert understanding of 3D development tools and techniques and experience shipping Games in a technical art capacity.
Preference will be given to candidates willing to relocate to Pensacola, FL ( https:// www.visitpensacola.com/ ) and have experience in game asset development and experience in shipping Unity Games and interactive VR. Applicants must have good communication and documentation skills, and thrive in both a team and individual environment.
Responsibilities will include:
- Creating advanced shaders and materials
- Optimization of Game Assets, creating LODs and optimizing meshes
- Surfacing Assets and creating Texture optimizations for real time assets
- Iterate and improve our rendering and lighting pipeline
- Optimizing performance on all projects
- Pioneers new asset creation techniques for environment assets
- Proposes pipeline and technology improvements to Art and Core Pipeline
- Collaborate with and support the engineering team.
- Keeps up with current technologies used in and by various game engines
- Other duties may be assigned
- US Citizen or Green Card
- Expert knowledge in Unity rendering and optimizations
- Technical proficiency in 3D workflow areas like modeling, texturing, lighting &
- Experience with 3D tools like Blender/Maya/3DS Max, and real time art pipelines
- Experience with Rigging, and Animation
- Advanced knowledge of cutting-edge content creation pipelines
- Experience in Substance Designer/Painter, Houdini, and procedural content
- Preference given to Candidates willing to relocate to Pensacola FL
- Proven games industry experience, with a credit on at least one published title
- Experience with Oculus Rift/Quest and other VR Platforms
- Able to think creatively and resolve technical challenges and limitations.
- Excellent communication skills at all levels, both on a technical and creative
- Artistically as well as technically inclined
- Strong time management & organization skills.
- Strong teamwork ethic
Send an email to email@example.com with the subject line “VR Technical Artist – YourLastName YourFirstName” and include the following:
- Current resume in pdf format. Name your file: “YourLastName_Resume.pdf”.
- Cover letter in pdf format. Name your file: “YourLastName_CoverLetter.pdf”
- A Link to you Video Portfolio, Demo Reel or portfolio site
In the cover letter:
- Explain why you meet the qualifications
- Let us know if you are willing to relocate to Pensacola FL
- List Titles you have shipped and your role in the production
- Provide email and phone number for three (3) professional references.
Location: Institute for Human and Machine Cognition (IHMC), Pensacola, FL.
Preference will be given to candidates wiling to work on site if selected.
IHMC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.