IHMC is seeking a talented Software/DevOps engineer to be part of the IHMC Robotics Team to support tackling fundamental challenges in humanoid robots on our Atlas, Valkyrie, and Nadia humanoid robots. In this role, you will work full time with the robotics team to manage infrastructure and software tools to help make Nadia one of the most advanced humanoid robots in the world. As IHMC is first and foremost a research institute, you will have opportunities to gain experiences and try new things, both with a varied set of responsibilities and through functions like the IHMC lecture series and regular learning lunches.
The robotics team has been working on legged robots for the past 17 years and is a world leader in humanoid robots, with highlights including placing second in the DARPA Robotics Challenge, providing support for the NASA Space Robotics Challenge, and developing legged systems like the Nadia humanoid and the Quix exoskeleton. This history of development has resulted in a large, internally maintained software stack that ranges from algorithms performing perception to planning to control. We currently have a number of ongoing projects supporting our humanoids efforts, which seek to develop Nadia into a semi-autonomous humanoid robot for exploration of urban structures, becoming one of the most dynamic, capable robots in the world.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Maintain and develop the IHMC CI/CD infrastructure
- Supporting Atlassian and similar products as necessary
- Maintain the IHMC build system
- Support and develop many of the IHMC open-source vendored libraries, including network, real-time, geometry, physics, and other libraries
- Leading and assisting lead software development efforts for our humanoid robotics teams
- Develop support for CI/CD of open-source C++ and Python libraries
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science major
- Authorized to work in the United States
- Strong proficiency and proof of prior work in C, C++, Java, or similar language
- Experience working with Linux
- Experience working with continuous integration tools
- 2 years of experience managing infrastructure for a large codebase
- Master’s degree in a computer science major
- Experience with Gradle, Kotlin, CI software, Docker
- Familiarity with version control systems such as Git
- Experience integrating external, possibly open-source, software packages
- Experience writing software using the Test Driven Development practice
- Experience in networking:
- Experience working with ROS 1 & 2
- Experience working with DDS, FastRTPS
- Experience with real-time environments:
- Experience of real-time Linux kernel
- Experience of EtherCAT protocol
- Experience of Java real-time programming
Why work at IHMC?
The robotics lab is an exciting place to work! We have researchers from all over the world, including TU Delft, ETH Zurich, MIT, Berkeley, Olin College, Notre Dame, Georgia Tech, Florida Tech, Embry Riddle, RIT, USC, and UF. Having so many minds crammed into one building makes for some interesting conversation, amusing antics, and fun activities to blow off some steam. Our team makes it a priority to have paintball days, barbecues, sailing trips in Pensacola Bay, beach days, dress up dares, happy hours, and learning lunches.
Pensacola is a great place to live! The weather is (almost) always perfect for outdoor activities like sailing on the bay, volleyball on the white sand beaches, kayaking on Blackwater River, or camping right by the waves. The lab is located in Downtown Pensacola, surrounded by tasty restaurants, art museums, concert venues, farmers markets, and food trucks. Pensacola thrives on never-ending music, dining, dancing and cultural diversity located right at your fingertips. You’ll love it here!
This is for a full-time, paid position in Pensacola. You must be authorized or able to gain authorization to work in the United States.
Email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Software/DevOps Engineer – YourLastName” and include the following:
- Current resume in pdf format. Name your file: “YourLastName_Resume.pdf”.
- Cover letter in pdf format. Name your file: “YourLastName_CoverLetter.pdf”
- Download this Pre-Interview Questionnaire pdf, fill it out and attach it. Name your file: “YourLastName_Questionnaire.pdf”