Senior Robotics Engineer: Mechanical
IHMC is seeking a talented Senior Robotics Mechanical Engineer to be part of the IHMC Robotics Team to tackle fundamental challenges in humanoid robots in the design of the Nadia humanoid robot. In this role, you will work full time with the robotics team to design the next iterations of Nadia to make it one of the most advanced humanoid robots in the world. As IHMC is first and foremost a research institute, you will have opportunities to gain experiences and try new things, both with a varied set of responsibilities and through functions like the IHMC lecture series and regular learning lunches.
The robotics team has been working on legged robots for the past 17 years and is a world leader in humanoid robots, with highlights including placing second in the DARPA Robotics Challenge, providing support for the NASA Space Robotics Challenge, and developing legged systems like the Nadia humanoid and the Quix exoskeleton. This history of development has resulted in a large, internally maintained software stack that ranges from algorithms performing perception to planning to control. We currently have a number of ongoing projects supporting our humanoids efforts, which seek to develop Nadia into a semi-autonomous humanoid robot for exploration of urban structures, becoming one of the most dynamic, capable robots in the world.
Ideal Candidate: We are seeking candidates who are passionate about mechanical design, cool mechanisms, and robotics and have experience working on multi-disciplinary teams to develop new, cutting edge hardware. They must be capable of functioning both in a tight-knit team and independently for extended periods of time. The candidate should have experience with both prototype development and prototype fabrication techniques, from machining to 3d printing. The ideal candidate will have been involved in the development of articulated robots in the past, with a focus on minimizing weight while maintaining durability. Applicants must have good communication and documentation skills, and thrive in both a team and individual environment.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Design and implementation of mechanisms, joints, actuation, and structure
- Analysis of mechanical components including FEA
- Generating machine drawings for manufacture
- Documentation of designs
- Leading team reviews of designs
- Assisting in maintaining CAD repositories and version control of designs
- Leading and assisting lead hardware development efforts for our humanoid robotics teams
- Working as part of a multidisciplinary team to make next generation humanoid platforms
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or similar, with 3 plus years of design experience
- Advanced SolidWorks / OnShape user, or equivalent
- Familiarity with mechanism design
- Experience in failure analysis
- Experience with finite element analysis
- M.S. or Ph.D. degree in Mechanical Engineering or similar, with 5 plus years of design experience
- Experience in designing for weight savings
- Experience with advanced manufacturing techniques (Additive, etc.)
- Design and manufacturing with composites (e.g. carbon fiber)
- Experience with electromechanical systems, hydraulic systems, sensors, and motors
As part of the application, we require that you provide a link (unlisted or public) to a YouTube video or portfolio link of one of your mechanical designs. Include your talking about your project
- Be 2 minute (+/- 15 seconds) in length
- Show your design, either actual or on computer screen
- Have clear audio if a video
Email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Senior Mechanical Engineer – YourLastName” and include the following:
- Current resume in pdf format. Name your file: “YourLastName_Resume.pdf”.
- Cover letter in pdf format. Name your file: “YourLastName_CoverLetter.pdf”
- Download this Pre-Interview Questionnaire pdf, fill it out and attach it. Name your file: “YourLastName_Questionnaire.pdf”
In the cover letter:
- Describe your relevant experience.
- Discuss why you are interested in a position at IHMC.
- Provide email and phone number (work and cell) for three (3) professional references.
**Application is considered incomplete until all items are submitted.**
Location: Florida Institute for Human and Machine Cognition (IHMC), Pensacola, Florida
IHMC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.