Robotics Engineer: Software and Control
IHMC is seeking a talented Robotics Engineer to be part of the IHMC Robotics Team to tackle fundamental challenges in humanoid robots on our Atlas, Valkyrie, and Nadia humanoid robots. In this role, you will work full time with the robotics team to design real time planning, control, and interaction algorithms to help make Nadia one of the most advanced humanoid robots in the world. As IHMC is first and foremost a research institute, you will have opportunities to gain experiences and try new things, both with a varied set of responsibilities and through functions like the IHMC lecture series and regular learning lunches.
The robotics team has been working on legged robots for the past 17 years and is a world leader in humanoid robots, with highlights including placing second in the DARPA Robotics Challenge, providing support for the NASA Space Robotics Challenge, and developing legged systems like the Nadia humanoid and the Quix exoskeleton. This history of development has resulted in a large, internally maintained software stack that ranges from algorithms performing perception to planning to control. We currently have a number of ongoing projects supporting our humanoids efforts, which seek to develop Nadia into a semi-autonomous humanoid robot for exploration of urban structures, becoming one of the most dynamic, capable robots in the world.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Design and implementation of algorithms, including trajectory optimization, manipulation, balance, and controls
- Writing of visualizers and new operator interfaces
- Testing and debugging software in software testing environments and on hardware systems
- Working as part of a multidisciplinary team to make next generation humanoid platforms
- B.S. in engineering major, with a software and controls focus
- 2+ years of relevant experience
- Strong proficiency and proof of prior work in C, C++, Java, or similar language
- Knowledge of Linux-based robotics systems
- Experience writing software for real hardware platforms
- Good communication and documentation skills
- M.S. of PhD in an engineering major, with a software and controls focus
- Experience with Gradle, Kotlin, CI software, Docker
- Knowledge of GPU programming
- Familiarity with version control systems such as Git
- Experience working with continuous integration tools
- Experience writing software using the Test Driven Development practice
- Ability to design and program GUIs (e.g. libGDX, Unity, etc.)
- Experience in design and use of physics engines, such as Bullet and Isaac Gym
- Experience in networking:
- Experience working with ROS 1 & 2
- Experience working with DDS, FastRTPS
- Experience with real-time control systems:
- Experience of real-time Linux kernel
- Experience of EtherCAT protocol
Why work at IHMC?
The robotics lab is an exciting place to work! We have researchers from all over the world, including TU Delft, ETH Zurich, MIT, Berkeley, Olin College, Notre Dame, Georgia Tech, Florida Tech, Embry Riddle, RIT, USC, and UF. Having so many minds crammed into one building makes for some interesting conversation, amusing antics, and fun activities to blow off some steam. Our team makes it a priority to have paintball days, barbecues, sailing trips in Pensacola Bay, beach days, dress up dares, happy hours, and learning lunches.
Pensacola is a great place to live! The weather is (almost) always perfect for outdoor activities like sailing on the bay, volleyball on the white sand beaches, kayaking on Blackwater River, or camping right by the waves. The lab is located in Downtown Pensacola, surrounded by tasty restaurants, art museums, concert venues, farmers markets, and food trucks. Pensacola thrives on never-ending music, dining, dancing and cultural diversity located right at your fingertips. You’ll love it here!
This is for a full-time, paid position in Pensacola, Florida. You must be authorized or able to gain authorization to work in the United States.
Email to email@example.com with the subject line “Robotics Engineer – YourLastName” and include the following:
- Current resume in pdf format. Name your file: “YourLastName_Resume.pdf”.
- Cover letter in pdf format. Name your file: “YourLastName_CoverLetter.pdf”
- Download this Pre-Interview Questionnaire pdf, fill it out and attach it. Name your file: “YourLastName_Questionnaire.pdf”
In the cover letter:
- Describe your relevant experience.
- Discuss why you are interested in a position at IHMC.
- Provide email and phone number (work and cell) for three (3) professional references.
**Application is considered incomplete until all items are submitted.**
Location: Florida Institute for Human and Machine Cognition (IHMC), Pensacola, Florida
IHMC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.