Research Engineer: Mechanical
Position Title: Mechanical Design Engineer
Starting Date: As soon as possible, depending on applicant’s availability.
IHMC is seeking mechanical engineers to help with the design of research prototype legged robotic platforms. Over the last 20 years, IHMC has developed a variety of legged systems ranging from bipedal robots like Nadia and M2V2 to legged exoskeletons like Quix and Eva. This candidate will work with our interdisciplinary robotics team on the design and development of new robotic hardware.
Application Deadline: Open until filled.
Ideal Candidate: We are seeking candidates who are passionate about mechanical design, cool mechanisms, and robotics and have experience working on multi-disciplinary teams to develop new, cutting edge hardware. They must be capable of functioning both in a tight-knit team and independently for extended periods of time. The candidate should have experience with both prototype development and prototype fabrication techniques, from machining to 3d printing. The ideal candidate will have been involved in the development of articulated robots in the past, with a focus on minimizing weight while maintaining durability. Applicants must have good communication and documentation skills, and thrive in both a team and individual environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or similar, with 3 plus years of design experience.
- Advanced SolidWorks / OnShape user, or equivalent
- Familiarity with mechanism design
- Experience in failure analysis
- Experience with finite element analysis
- Experience in lightweight design
- Experience with advanced manufacturing techniques (Additive, etc.)
- Design with composites (e.g. carbon fiber)
- Experience with electromechanical systems, hydraulic systems, sensors, motors
As part of the application, we require that you provide a link (unlisted or public) to a YouTube video of you talking about one of your mechanical designs. This video should highlight your communication skills as well as show your design. The video should:
- Include your talking about your project
- Be 2 minute (+/- 15 seconds) in length
- Show your design, either actual or on computer screen
- Have clear audio
Job Description: Develop new cutting edge legged-robotic hardware platforms. For more information on some of our current projects, see robots.ihmc.us. Salary is dependent upon degree and experience.
Email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “ME Position – YourLastName” and include the following:
- Current resume in pdf format. Name your file: “YourLastName_Resume.pdf”.
- Cover letter in pdf format. Name your file: “YourLastName_CoverLetter.pdf”
- Download this Pre-Interview Questionnaire pdf, fill it out and attach it. Name your file: “YourLastName_Questionnaire.pdf”
In the cover letter:
- Provide link (URL) to your YouTube video.
- Describe why you want to be a designer of legged robots, what makes you qualified, and what you see as the major challenges to achieving legged robots that are as capable as their biological counterparts.
- Description of a robot system or part you designed. Preferably a link to a web page describing your system, a published paper, and/or hardware examples.
- Provide email and phone number (work and cell) for three (3) professional references.
**Application is considered incomplete until all three items are submitted.**
Location: Institute for Human and Machine Cognition (IHMC), Pensacola, FL
IHMC is an AA/EEO Employer.