Dr. Jeffery Iliff on glymphatic system’s role in health of brains young and old
In the latest episode of STEM-Talk, Dr. Jeffery Iliff talks about his research into neurodegeneration and traumatic brain injury. The episode is available wherever you listen to podcasts.
Iliff is a professor of psychiatry and behavioral sciences at the University of Washington as well as the associate director of research at the VA Puget Sound Health Care System. He also is a co-leader for research at the University of Washington’s Alzheimer’s Disease Research Center.
In the interview, cohosts Dr. Ken Ford and Dr. Dawn Kernagis talk with Iliff about his investigations into the newly discovered glymphatic system, a brain-wide network of perivascular spaces that facilitates the clearance of waste products from the brain during sleep.
Iliff was part of a team at the University of Rochester that discovered the system, which Science Magazine cited as one of the Top 10 Breakthroughs of 2013.
Much of Iliff’s research today explores how the glymphatic system fails in the aging brain — and in younger brains following traumatic brain injury.
Illiff and Kernagis also talk about their collaboration on a research project that’s looking into how extreme stressors impact the glymphatic system. The project’s aim is to investigate a potential approach to optimizing glymphatic clearance for individuals with acute or chronic sleep deprivation.
STEM-Talk is a biweekly podcast that is part of IHMC’s outreach initiatives. IHMC is a not-for-profit research institute of the Florida University System where researchers pioneer science and technologies aimed at leveraging and extending human capabilities. For more information, visit ihmc.us.
- STEM-Talk: Dr. Barbara Thorne, conehead termite expert, on biology, control of these highly social insects
- Summer Robotics Camp 2023 registration opens this week.
- Space Florida, IHMC partnership includes collaboration, research support
- WATCH: Dr. Karen Wooley on the future of sustainable, biodegradable plastics.
- STEM-Talk: Jeff Volek on what we’ve learned in 30 years about keto, carb-restricted diets and health
- WATCH: Dr. Alexander Fleming’s Evening Lecture on geroscience and healthy longevity
- IHMC breaks ground on new, $30 million human performance research complex
- STEM-Talk: Ed Weiler on the Hubble and James Webb telescopes and NASA’s search for life
- IHMC wins Best Paper award at International Conference on Humanoid Robots 2022