Electrical Engineer 2024
Starting Date: As soon as possible, depending on applicant’s availability.
We currently have an opening for an Electrical Engineer in the Robotics Lab at IHMC. This technical position will be responsible for designing and maintaining the electrical systems of humanoid robots, including board and firmware design. This candidate will work alongside mechanical and software engineers to develop reliable robotic systems.
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Ideal Candidate: We are seeking candidates who are passionate about electrical design, electrical system architecture, robotics and have experience working on multi-disciplinary teams to develop new, cutting edge hardware. They must be capable of functioning both in a tight-knit team and independently for extended periods of time. The candidate should have experience creating specifications for complex electromechanical systems and designing small complex circuits through to production. The ideal candidate will have been involved in the development of articulated robots in the past, preferably using EtherCAT communication. Applicants must have good communication and documentation skills, and thrive in both a team and individual environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or similar
- Advanced Altium user, or equivalent
- Experience taking board concepts through to production
- Experience in troubleshooting and repairing electrical systems
- Proficient in designing I/O systems and integrating sensors and actuators such as load cells and encoders.
- Experience with comm protocols such as I2C, SPI, RS485, RS232, BISS-C
- Experience with cable assembly and wire routing
- Experience designing microcontroller based control systems incorporating both analog and digital circuitry
- PCB assembly and rework (down to component size 0402)
- Experience with EtherCAT, CAN/CANOpen,
- Experience with Elmo Twitter or other motor amplifiers
- Experience in low-level programming with microcontrollers such as TI C2000, STM32, or similar platforms
- Experience with high speed PCBA design
- Experience working with motor amplifiers, handling BackEMF kickback and other electromechanical design considerations
- Experience with functional and integration testing
- Experience with electromechanical systems, hydraulic systems, sensors, motors
- Specify top level design requirements for robotic electrical systems
- Circuit board design and integration with off the shelf motor drivers, microcontrollers and related electrical components
- Perform circuit simulations (LTspice, WEBENCH, Micro-Cap, etc.)
- Circuit board design for power distribution, signal processing, and interfacing with microprocessors
- Develop electromechanical systems that utilize off the shelf sensors, motors, microprocessor, encoders, temperature sensors, load cells
- Design and implement electrical wire routing and cable construction
- Fabricate prototype circuit boards and cables
For more information on some of our current projects, see robots.ihmc.us. Salary is dependent upon degree and experience.
Email to robotjobs at ihmc.org with the subject line “EE Position – YourLastName” and include the following:
- Current resume in pdf format. Name your file: “YourLastName_Resume.pdf”.
- Cover letter in pdf format. Name your file: “YourLastName_CoverLetter.pdf”
- Design portfolio in pdf (if available). Name your file: “YourLastName_Portfolio.pdf”
- Download this Pre-Interview Questionnaire pdf, fill it out and attach it. Name your file: “YourLastName_Questionnaire.pdf”
In the cover letter:
- Describe why you want to be a developer of legged robots and/or exoskeletons, what makes you qualified, and what you see as the major challenges to achieving legged robots that are as capable as their biological counterparts.
- Description of a robot system or board you designed. Preferably a link to a web page describing your system, a published paper, and/or hardware examples.
- Describe your relevant experience
- Provide email and phone number (work and cell) for three (3) professional references.
**Application is considered incomplete until all three items are submitted.**
Questions: robotjobs at ihmc.org
Location: Institute for Human and Machine Cognition (IHMC), Pensacola, FL
IHMC is an AA/EEO Employer.